Sunday, March 1, 2015

Family Dinners


Tonight, we had an amazing family dinner.

The plan for this dinner started on Friday, when Emma told her father she was craving fried chicken. Dave sent me a text and asked me if I would make her chicken cutlets - which I would, of course - but it was on a FRIDAY during LENT, so I would much rather make them on a day when we could all enjoy. Chicken cutlets are my favorite meal!

Our little lives are crazy, fun and chaotic. Most nights, a family meal is darn near impossible. Kids come home from school STARVING and ready for dinner by 4:30. I rarely eat before 8. Rich eats whenever he walks in the door...you get my point. Well. Today, everything aligned perfectly for us to sit down and share a wonderful meal.

I had planned on making dinner for everyone and serving it early so that Rich had time to digest before his hockey game - but Mother Nature FROZE US OUT and his game ended up getting postponed. I didn't have to rush!

Chicken cutlets, breaded and fried. White rice, roasted broccoli and Velveeta cheese sauce...all just like my Mommy used to make when I was a kid. (She actually made it a few days ago for my Dad...but who is keeping track?!)

We sat down and enjoyed a peaceful, calm evening - Dave and Emma too! It did my heart good to have everyone sitting down together, saying grace and sharing laughter. Before the end of dinner, I learned something new - my children know sign language! Rosie was able to sign a whole song! RJ was able to show me how he signs "Please stop, friend." I was so, so impressed.

I treasure these family dinners. I treasure these moments with these people that I adore.



No comments: