Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day Adventures

In many ways, I felt like today marked an "end" of an era.

In less than 7 weeks, we will welcome a new little baby to our family. Peach will be here before we know it, and so much will change with a newborn in the house again!

Just 2 weeks after Peach's arrival, Emma will leave for college. Dave has a new family with whom he is spending most of his time, so this was the "last" celebration for our mish-moshed family of 7. I really wanted to make it special. Memorable. For everyone.

We started our day with brunch at our dining room table. I made egg sandwiches and dippy eggs while Emma made her father a spinach and bell pepper frittata. We were able to all sit together and enjoy each other's company. The kids and I had cards for Rich and Dave - and I wrote in their cards to be ready and dressed to be active by 11:15.

By 11, the kids were itching to get going, so Rich took my three littles outside to lead them in some "warm up calisthenics."  By 11:15, we were rolling down the driveway and headed to our adventure of the day - Earth Trex indoor rock wall climbing.

Dave and Emma had been before, but the kids and I had never tried rock wall climbing. We got all 6 of them harnessed up and ready to go. Since my kids were beginners, the instructors took us upstairs to the starter walls. Rosie went first and managed to scale the wall in a matter of minutes. She was a natural! RJ went about halfway up the wall on his first attempt, but didn't want to finish, so came down. Angelina, who mimics big sister whenever she gets the chance, hurried up the wall to touch the stuffed animal at the top.

Then it was the big kids' turn. We went downstairs for Emma, Dave & Rich to have a try. The little kids went for round 2 down there as well, but RJ and Angelina decided they wanted to go back upstairs to try again on a wall where they felt more confident. While they were going upstairs, I went to go get my shoes and harness. Initially, I had decided to wait until well after Peach's arrival - but I gave in to the peer pressure (from Rosie) and decided to give it a try.

Once it was my turn, I made it about halfway up the wall. I had no expectation of climbing to the top. After all - I have never tried rock wall climbing before, and there is a 5 pound baby resting between me and a comfortable grip. But at least I tried it - and I could do it. I only stopped when I felt myself struggling to breathe. (The pregnancy harness was pressing directly on my diaphragm and the more I climbed, the more pressure I felt!)

After all was said and done, Everyone attempted 3 climbs except for myself and Rosie. I attempted just the one and gave her my additional two. She mastered every climb she tried, and I'm pretty sure she would go back there every day until she masters every wall!

After our climbing adventure, Dave & Emma went horseback riding while we ran our errands. We all met back up for dinner...which was wonderful and enjoyable.

For the moment, life is good and peaceful and happy.

No comments: