Friday, May 19, 2017

Angelina Loses A Tooth

From the time she was about three, Angelina has been asking me when she will lose her first tooth. Some weeks, depending on who she knew that was missing teeth, she would ask daily. I have remained consistent in my response: when you are six-and-a-half. 

At the time, 6 1/2 seemed so very far away. She would likely loss a tooth by that point in time, so there seemed to be no harm. That is until she turned six and didn't have a wiggly tooth. I wasn't too upset about this - after all, she is my baby girl and I don't want her to grow up. But her lack of a wiggly tooth was beyond upsetting to Ange, especially as her friends began to lose their teeth. 

She came home many times this winter with a finger in her mouth, saying "look, Mom! I have a wiggly tooth!" But it never actually wiggled. That was until last week. 

Just last week, she came home all excited. "Mom! I have a wiggly tooth!" As always, I would stick my finger in her little mouth and try to wiggle. This time, however, the tooth actually moved! 

You do! You do have a wiggly tooth! She was so excited. 

With her older siblings, the wiggly phase would last for weeks. Sometimes even months. Not my Ange. Just like always, she has to be different from the rest. 

Rosie came in first today, with Angelina about a minute behind her. 

Ro: Angelina has something to show you, Mom. 

Ange: Hi, Mommy! What looks different about me today? (smiles)

Me: did you lose a tooth?! 

Ange: (proudly) yes I did! I wiggled it and wiggled it until if popped right out during sharing. 

I hugged her. I ooed. I ahhed. I made a big stink. And after she proudly marched off for her after school play date, I cried just a little. As my tears fell, I looked at that little tooth in a baggie ans rhoight "my baby girl is growing up!"



 

No comments: