Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Finding Rosie A Big Girl Bed



Finding Rosie A Big Girl Bed
June 8, 2008


After hearing “no kib” one too many times last week and catching Rosie trying to climb out of the crib, Rich and I decided it was time to take our girl shopping for a big girl bed. The timing works out great – because I would love to have her completely transitioned into her big girl room a few months before the baby comes. I don’t want her to feel displaced by the new baby. Unfit Parenting 101 – “the new baby is getting your room – so you have to move in here.” That would piss me off – so I can’t do it to her.

After spending the night at Aunt Tessie’s house and a lovely breakfast in Harrisburg, we drove back to Baltimore and hit Ikea. Rich and I decided that we don’t want to spend a ton of money on her furniture. If you look at his childhood furniture – it is banged up and “decorated” by stickers in some spots. My furniture has water stains from countless glasses and is missing hardware. My childhood furniture is beautiful and I have loved it since I was five – but it was really nice furniture and I really didn’t treat it as well as I should have – and it shows. So – Ikea it is.

Despite the lack of sufficient air conditioning inside of Ikea, Rosie was having a blast. We let her out of the stroller to stretch her legs – and she and Rich found this toddler bed that was very low to the ground. She had such fun with this bed! In the bed, out of the bed. On the bed, off the bed. Under the covers, over the covers. Loved it! She didn’t want to leave the bed.

I’ve been worried about her climbing out of the crib for two months now. She is a climber and a daredevil and will test any limit you give her. There have been some days when she awoke from her nap without making a sound – and the only thing that alerted me to her awake state was a slight rustling sound. That sound was Rosie pushing her Bear, Big Bird and her blanket to the corner of the crib so that she could stand on them and get the extra height. Crazy! So – in another few inches, she will be able to throw that leg over, and I might just hear that dreaded boom in the middle of the night!

No comments: