Tuesday, June 24, 2008

For the Love of Chaos


For the Love of Chaos
June 24, 2008


The past 48 hours have been chaotic, emotional and draining. Sometimes, what your head knows needs to happen is not always what your heart is set on. Such has been my week.

It is during those sleepless nights, filled with internal conflict and questions, that I turn to some of my happiest and most treasured memories. Since I’m so camera-happy – I have many happy memories captured to be remembered forever.

At around 5ish on my birthday, I was plugging away on my computer, trying to get some work done. My phone rang – it was Renee. She was driving home (or so I thought) and called to see how my day was going. As we’re chatting, she’s asking me some fairly specific questions – like “where are you in your house?” “Are you home?” “Does your den window face the front?” I didn’t think much of it – but she had to get off the phone abruptly to talk to her mom. No sweat. Minutes later, Dani knocks on my office door and asks me to come look at Rosie. I walk out – and standing in my kitchen are Renee, Patrick and Elisa. From there – the sweetest form of chaos ensued.

Elisa, my niece, turned 8 in February. Patrick, my nephew, turned 3 in May. And, of course, Rosie is 18 months. Up until now, Elisa has been the one to play with Rosie. I think Patrick saw her as something he didn’t understand. At the ripe old age of 2, he couldn’t understand that while, yes, Rosie was taking his Doggy from him, she a) didn’t really know what she was doing and b) would not be allowed to keep it and c) didn’t have any understand of mine vs. not mine. Patrick, however, has understood the concept of “mine,” or more importantly, “not yours,” for as long as Rosie has been alive. He’s a smart kid – he gets it.

Well – I got a special birthday gift this year. All three played together. I mean – they really played together. Three little bodies crammed themselves into the 3’ x 1’ space behind the crack house in our family room. The laughter that came out of those three little mouths is still ringing in my ears – nearly two weeks later. Patrick & Rosie – who had never been at odds with each other at all – took their relationship to a new level – a level filled with spontaneous hugs and sharing like they have never done before.

Growing up, the closest kid to my age in my family was my brother – and he was four years my junior. My cousins were all a decade older – or almost a decade younger – than I. I was also the only girl in the bunch. It makes me so happy that my daughter – my children – not only have a wonderful family that they were born into, but an amazing family that we have chosen along the way.

Just one of the many happy memories that keep me warm when the nights seem long and cold.

No comments: