Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chewing Gum

I’m not entirely sure where Rosie’s fascination with gum chewing got its start. Rich & I are not huge gum chewers – and she isn’t around anyone who chews gum on a regular basis. But – in true-to-toddler form, Rosie has picked up this habit in the best way that she knows how.

A few weeks ago, I noticed her chewing on something intently and not swallowing. Upon sneaking my fingers past her sharp little teeth, I found a wad of paper towel wedged in between her molars and her gums. I removed the wad and tossed it immediately. I did not know that this was the start of an ongoing habit.

Rosie is now on a mission – a mission to find any tissue, paper towel, cotton ball, q-tip or piece of paper accidentally left around the house. She bites off a piece of whatever she can find and starts chewing. When you ask her if she has something in her mouth – she proudly tells you “I chewin’ gum!”

Here’s the best part – she’ll spit out whatever is in her mouth without a problem…only if you hold out your hand and say “can I have your gum, please?” If you try to take it out – you will get bitten – so save your fingers and ask her nicely to spit out her gum!

No comments: