Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God Besh You, Mommy

One of my biggest goals with Rosie has been teaching her appropriate responses to the things that happen in every day life. Please…thank you…you’re welcome. Things like that. Daddy taught her how to fake burp…when I realized that for a toddler, fake burping is fun, I taught her to say excuse me (shoo-me) after all fake and real burps. All of these things sound adorable when coming out of a toddler’s mouth – even the burps. My favorite, however, is Rosie’s “God Bless You.”

Whenever she sneezes, I follow it immediately with a “God bless you, Rosie” and then I remind her to say “Thank you,” hoping that it will one day sink in. Tonight – I got some proof that my work is paying off.

I was putting her down to bed, and I’ve had a little bit of a sniffle and a cough for the past day or so. As I’m snuggling up to her, I cough. She takes her binkie out and says “God besh you, Mommy” and pops the binkie right back in. I am surprised to hear this – but respond with “Thank you, Rosie.” Binkie comes out again so that Rosie can say “you welcome, Mommy.”

Experiment successful! She is learning manners! Unfortunately, this went on for about 20 minutes. Every minute or so I would clear my through or cough and Rosie would start our little routine. I had to quiet myself down and stifle any sounds to actually get her to sleep. I wonder if she will keep this up?

No comments: