Saturday, August 16, 2008

Everybody Toots, Part II

Everybody Toots, Part II
August 16, 2008


I’m driving today and Rosie was making a ruckus in my back seat. Screaming, yelling, crying…the works. She was just very unhappy about being in the car. So, even though we weren’t that far from home, I ended up driving with one arm in the backseat, holding her hand. Thanks to the physical contortion, I drifted slightly into the right hand shoulder, running over the rumble strip. The crying and whining stops immediately.

Suddenly, I hear her little “maniacal” laugh. “He. He. Road tooted.”

If I wasn’t securely buckled in, I might have fallen out of my chair. For the rest of the trip home, every few minutes I would deliberately hit the rumble strip just to keep her happy and hear Rosie scream “Road tooted!”

I suppose I looked a little like a drunk driver that afternoon – but I fortunately didn’t get pulled over. “Sorry, officer…I was making the road toot…”

No comments: