Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Cwried For You!


So tonight was my first “regular” class of the semester. My first Wednesday night class. For the next 12 weeks, I will have class every Wednesday and Thursday night and Rosie and RJ will hang out with someone other than me. Tonight, it was Daddy time. I tried to prep everything for Rich before I left. Make sure that her dinner is ready – prep RJ’s bottle so that it was ready if need…I even left pork chops marinating in the oven for Rich. Off to class I went.

I called during my break, and Rich sounded stressed. I had to deliver the news that class didn’t end until 9:30 (instead of 9) and he did not sound pleased. Now I’m stressed. I count the minutes until I can leave – and finally, I am home. I volunteer to put Rosie to bed while Rich continues to hang with RJ.

We go through her normal nighttime routine – give kisses, brush teeth, find binkies, gather friends…and then we have our evening chat. Usually – the ten minutes before Rosie fall asleep is filled with stories from her day. Today – it was a big, fat guilt trip…just for me.

R: Mommy?
K: Yes, baby?
R: I crwied for you.
K: You cried for me? Why did you cry for me?
R: You went to shewl. I miss you. I crweid for you.
(I am suddenly fighting against the tears)
K: Baby girl, you don’t have to cry for me. I always come home to you.
R: No. I miss you. I crwied for you. Don’t got to shewl anymore.
K: Honey girl, I have to go to school
R: Then take me wish (with) you, Mommy.

I didn’t really know what to say – but fortunately she asked me to cuddle her and fell asleep before I could think of a response. She’s the sweetest little girl – and I would totally take her to school with me if I could..but I think I am past the age for show & tell!

No comments: