Friday, January 23, 2009

Poop, Already!

Having children changes you – but I think that is a fairly obvious statement. I was expecting many of these changes – going out less, less sleep…things like that. What I was not prepared for was the sudden fascination and obsession with poop.

I remember my freshman year talking to my roommates about poop etiquette. I put the can of Lysol on the back of the bowl and said “everybody poops. I don’t want to hear any thing more about it.” I was pretty much fine with that “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy until I had kids. Suddenly – poop became acceptable dinner conversation.

Maybe it is because some of the stories about babies/kids & poop are so funny and outrageous that they are worth repeating (see “Shitastrophy, Nov. 9, 2008). Whatever the reason, Rich and I have become that couple that finds it totally acceptable to discuss poop with anyone and everyone.

The nurses in the hospital in the days after a delivery are all about diaper duty. How many wet diapers? How many dirty diapers? They give you charts and guidelines about what is normal for your newborn and what you should expect in the days to come. Breastfed babies are supposed to poop all the time. Not my breastfed babies!

RJ doesn’t like to poop. He just hates it. He is this wonderful, happy baby for 3-4 days out of the week. Suddenly – he is a screamer – and his screams are due to his discomfort. He then screams for another 2 days or so until he finally poops and gets something out of his system. Then it is back to being a happy baby again!

It is day 6 of his little cycle…so I haven’t slept in about two days and I can’t put him down. RJ, darling – just poop already!

No comments: