Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mommy is Back to School!

Rosie plays in our bed...


RJ - a smiley, happy baby...

RJ is now 2 ½ months old, and I am back in the saddle at Loyola College, working diligently on my ongoing MBA. I’ll be honest – I’ll be happy when it is over. As much as I truly enjoy my classes and learning – and even the socialization – I really don’t enjoy being away from my kids for long stretches at a time.

I am taking 3 classes this semester, something I haven’t tried to do since the fall of 2005. My first class started today – Power, Privilege and Professional Identity with Andrea Giampetro-Meyer. I’ve had Professor Giampetro before, and if I could take her for every course, I would. That being said – this class meets for 36 hours in the month of January. 6 hours on each Saturday throughout the month and then every day this week. The course is at the Columbia campus – so I ended up being away from home for over 8 hours.

It was a difficult day. At first, I really loved being back in the classroom. Meeting with others, group work, group think… Every now and then it is nice to have a conversation that doesn’t center around Madagascar or Toy Story or Cars… However, by lunchtime, I really just couldn’t wait to see my kids again. 4:00 couldn’t come fast enough!

You can tell this is my second time around – I attended class complete with breast pump and spent my 2 15-minute breaks in the handicapped stall, pumping away.

My day was complete when I walked through the door at 5:35 and was attacked by a beautiful three-foot tall girl. Rosie was beyond happy to see me – and all I wanted to do was hold her and RJ. My anticipated graduation is May 2010. I’m sure that there will be a few tears between now and then – but I also know that this will all be worth it!

No comments: