Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Happy Day, Nonna! (and a few other cute Rosie stories)



Happy Day, Nonna! (and a few other cute Rosie stories)
June 26, 2008


My Mom and I have birthdays exactly 2 weeks apart. I am the 12th – she is the 26th. ( My father and brother follow the same pattern in reverse – my Dad is the 13th of February, my brother is the 27th.) I had class last night and no one to watch Rosie – so as a birthday treat to herself, my mom came down for the evening and was able to spend her birthday morning with Rosie and me. It was a treat for all of us. I got a nice little break and was able to run some errands without a toddle in tow…Rosie had the undivided attention of her Nonna – and Nonna got some little kid lovin’ as her birthday gift. (Which, in my opinion, is the best gift in the world).

Knowing that my Mom was going to be here on her actual birthday, Rosie and I practiced saying “Happy Birthday, Nonna!” For an 18-month old, she has a great vocabulary – and had no problem repeating the words whenever I said them. Although we practiced many times, I was still completely unprepared for when she knocked on the door to the red room that morning and shouted “Happy Day, Nonna!” All day long – she was a little broken record. “Nonna happy day. Happy day!” Success!

I really do love that feeling when she does something in front of another person that I have been working on diligently. One of my favorites was the first time she addressed my mother-in-law. I had been asking her to say “Grandmama” for months – and her response was the same every time. “NO!” with a vigorous headshake. So – when we were sitting in her living room in April and Rosie busted out with a “Ganma” – I nearly fell over. Success!

The pictures above are of Rosie washing her hands. At first I was so excited because she wanted to wash her hands – and since I’m a freak about hand washing, I thought maybe this was a habit that I had taught her. No. She likes to play in water. Silly Mommy.

We have a routine every day that involves us looking at pictures around the house. I started this when she was itty-bitty and just never stopped. I wanted her to memorize the faces that she wouldn’t be able to see every day. Now that she is a little older, she tells me who most of the people are without hesitation. Well – early today, my mom was walking her through the routine. They are going through all the pictures in the big collage in our living room – and she was hitting all of her family members flawlessly. When my mom got to the picture of her Uncle Dan and said “Rosie – who is this?” Rosie looked at the picture, and said in a very soft little voice “My Danny.” I have a feeling that Dan will take “My Danny” over “Uncle Dan” without a problem for the time being!

No comments: