Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Big Bed

Rosie & Daddy snuggled up - ready for bed.
Pounce on Daddy time!
My new big bed provides the perfect wrestling arena!

The Big Bed
July 12, 2008


On January 12, 2007, Rosie spent her first night in her crib. I remember thinking that she looked so little and so lost – my tiny, 5-week old baby in this big, huge crib – all by herself! Of course, she didn’t stay in her crib all night long. She woke up after about 4 hours looking to be fed. But those were a long four hours for me.

Just 18-months later, I put my little 19-month old to bed in her “Big Girl Bed” – a queen size bed. We installed bed rails and child-proofed her room to the best of our ability. Regardless, I won’t be sleeping tonight. There she is – this tiny little person – barely 3 feet tall, barely 25 pounds – and sleeping in a queen bed. Just Rosie, Big Bird and Mr. Bear.

She has a beautiful “Big Girl” room. Daddy and Grandpa Fox painted her room in periwinkle. We picked out furniture that she should be able to grow into and not out of…at least I hope!

She is so very excited about having her “Big Room” and likes to show it off to everyone. We visit her big room several times a day. Her furniture got delivered a few days ago, and I have probably made 100 trips up the steps with her in those few days. Finally – she has a mattress and the room is complete.

I know how fortunate we are that she prompted this transition. So many kids love their crib and fight leaving it. Rosie told us that she was done. The timing is also more than perfect. I didn’t want Rosie to feel that she had to give anything up for the new baby that is coming. Now, she has her own space that will always be hers.

No comments: