Wednesday, July 9, 2008

One Little Monkey


One Little Monkey
June 27, 2008

“10 little monkeys jumping on the bed. One fell off and bumped his head. Momma called the doctor and the doctor said, “no more monkey business, jumping on the bed!”

That was one of my favorite silly songs to sing as a kid. Of course, the countdown continues until there are no more monkeys to create the monkey business of jumping on the bed. Well – I only have one monkey (for now) – and she is taking this new monkey obsession of hers to a whole new level…literally.

She became enthralled with monkeys yesterday. She has a monkey stuffed animal that she got at Ben’s first birthday party – and she has a little stuffed bear that she thinks is a monkey. They get dragged all over the house. I don’t know if she saw a monkey climbing somewhere – or if we are all born with a little bit of primate inside…but she has taken this monkey business to heart!

Our previously off-limits couch is no longer off-limits. That’s OK – it’s soft and squishy. This afternoon, however, I caught her on top of our entertainment center in our family room. I was so shocked, I just stood there for a minute with my mouth open. When she started to stand up and reach for the TV, I grabbed her quickly and put her on the floor. We looked at each other, and I was so curious as to how she got herself up there, that I asked her to do it again.

In two seemingly effortless steps, she got on top of the entertainment center. I’m thinking that it is just a matter of weeks before she conquers other pieces of furniture – such as the stools in our kitchen…her crib…baby gates… Oy.

No comments: