Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rosie’s Baby

Rosie picks up Dabby for some play time
Rosie gives Dabby her bottle - while watching Kermit on TV
Rosie talks to Dabby after a "feeding"

Rosie’s Baby
July 19, 2008


Rosie got her first baby doll today. As you know, I have been trying my best to keep all of Rosie’s toys gender neutral, educational and totally princess free. So – when my mom asked me if she could buy Rosie a doll, I was very hesitant. Would this open up the flood gates of overly girly gifts? Would she lose her interest in toys like Noah’s Ark and the Crack House that are geared towards kids, not girls?

Ultimately, logic won out and I agreed that Rosie could have a baby doll – but I wanted her to be the one to pick it out. Off to Toys R Us we went. We wandered for a bit, searching for the doll section. Rosie suddenly shouted “baby doll” and started pointing. There were dolls that burp…dolls that can be fed…dolls that say “mama” and dolls that wet a diaper. Rosie picked the one doll that does absolutely nothing!

This plain little doll came with a blue outfit and a pink outfit – both equally ugly. Its mouth is open slightly, so Nonna picked up a play baby bottle as an accessory. Rosie wanted the keep her new baby in the blue outfit – but when you ask her, the doll is a baby girl. Her name is Dabby. (Abby Dabby is her name for both Abby Cadabby and Zoe from Sesame Street…)

Both Nonna and I tried to put more interesting dolls in front of her – dolls that had binkies…dolls that were a little prettier. Rosie wanted nothing to do with any of them – she just wanted Dabby out of her box. So, Dabby is now her baby doll – complete with a little Pack & Play. Rosie put Dabby to bed today and tried to give Dabby her binkie. Dabby’s mouth isn’t big enough for Rosie’s binkie, but we are all impressed that she was willing to share.

Rosie is very proud of Dabby, her new baby doll…and I am very proud of Rosie. She cuddles her, feeds her – and even burps her new baby doll. (The burping action comes complete with a smack on her back, burping noise and Rosie saying “Shoo me!”)

1 comment:

The Kamienski Chronicles said...

Yeh for dolls! I can now live out my little girl fantasies through Rosie. I know no Bratz dolls but watch out this Christmas for a few new members of the dolly family!!