Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sleep is a Beautiful Thing



Rosie and Daddy play with bubbles in the green space. We love bubbles!

Sleep is a Beautiful Thing
July 2, 2008


Rosie was not born to sleep. She is like me – I would rather do than sleep. I would rather be with friends…rather be on the computer…rather be working…rather be cleaning…there is always something that I could be doing and the thought of that something keeps my eyelids open until the wee small hours of the morning.

As an infant, she didn’t nap. A 20-minute cat-nap here or there – but nothing substantial. So I wasn’t really surprised when she stopped her lovely sleeping and napping habits in favor of staying up too late and refusing to nap during the day.

She’s changing and growing up – and we need to listen to her. Yes, she is really only changing from a baby to a toddler – but is that change of life any less important than a teenager becoming an adult? It may not seem huge to us now – but how important this all must be to her! She is old enough to express many of her needs and wants, and we need to be smart enough to listen!

Well – we did listen last night – and for the first time in two weeks, Rosie slept through the night!! She slept from about 10 last night until about 8 this morning. I am so excited, I could cry!! Although I didn’t sleep well because every noise had me awake and staring intently at the monitor, I feel enlightened. Sleep is a beautiful thing – and I am so looking forward to putting my head on my pillow after class tonight!

No comments: